On the west side of First Avenue is the Pike Place Market Historic District with early-20th century buildings converted to restaurants, shops, offices and apartments. The bay windows on the Virginia Inn (1937 First Avenue) are a sign of its early construction date.
It is one of the oldest buildings in the market area, having been opened as the Hotel Livingston in 1901. It is also known as the Landes Block, for its builder, Colonel Henry Landes of Port Townsend. The Virginia Inn tavern has been at this corner since 1903.
First Avenue and Virginia Street (1.9mb mp3)
Find this building on our walking tour map. (680kb pdf)
This site is dedicated to the history of Seattle's downtown and waterfront, especially the State Route 99 / Alaskan Way Viaduct corridor. It was developed by the Washington State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration as an educational resource and as part of a Memorandum of Agreement for Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (pdf 1mb).
Copyright 2011 Washington State Department of Transportation