Squeezed between two skyscrapers is a small bank building, designed in 1924 by John Graham, Sr., who also designed the Exchange Building next door five years later. This was the last of the grand banking halls to be built along Second Avenue.
It has a Roman temple facade with four monumental fluted columns. This Neoclassical style was often used by banks to express their strength and reliability. Instead of stone, the reinforced concrete building is clad with glazed terra cotta colored and textured to look like granite.
Despite the building's relatively small size, its interior has an ornate banking hall with a large skylight, now restored. This has been used as a bank since it was first built for the Bank of California (later the Union Bank of California). That firm occupied the building until 1982 when it became the headquarters of Puget Sound Mutual Savings Bank, which later became part of Key Bank.
Second Avenue and Columbia Street (744kb mp3)
Find this building on our walking tour map. (680kb pdf)
This site is dedicated to the history of Seattle's downtown and waterfront, especially the State Route 99 / Alaskan Way Viaduct corridor. It was developed by the Washington State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration as an educational resource and as part of a Memorandum of Agreement for Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (pdf 1mb).
Copyright 2011 Washington State Department of Transportation