From the 1880s until well into the 20th century, Pioneer Square was full of hotels of all types - elegant ones to serve wealthy travelers, and simple ones for laborers and wanderers seeking their fortunes. The Cadillac Hotel was built in 1889, immediately after the Great Fire.
Like many local hotels, the upper floors were left vacant after fire regulations were strengthened in the 1970s. The hotel was severely damaged in the 2001 earthquake and was on the brink of demolition.
A heroic effort by local preservation organizations restored the building. The Cadillac Hotel now houses the Seattle unit of the Klondike Gold Rush National Park.
To learn more about this building, visit the City of Seattle’s historical sites page.
Second Avenue S. and S. Jackson Street (819kb mp3)
Find this building on our walking tour map. (680kb pdf)
This site is dedicated to the history of Seattle's downtown and waterfront, especially the State Route 99 / Alaskan Way Viaduct corridor. It was developed by the Washington State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration as an educational resource and as part of a Memorandum of Agreement for Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (pdf 1mb).
Copyright 2011 Washington State Department of Transportation