The A. E. Doyle Building is one of the most elegant reminders of Seattle's early retail corridor along 2nd Avenue. It opened in 1920 as the J. S. Graham Store not long after Frederick and Nelson moved north to Pine Street.
This is the only Seattle example of the work of one of Portland's most prominent architect, A. E Doyle. The large windows set in tall arched bays clad with terra cotta reflect the Italian Renaissance style.
Second Avenue and Pine Street (1mb mp3)
Find this building on our walking tour map. (680kb pdf)
This site is dedicated to the history of Seattle's downtown and waterfront, especially the State Route 99 / Alaskan Way Viaduct corridor. It was developed by the Washington State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration as an educational resource and as part of a Memorandum of Agreement for Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (pdf 1mb).
Copyright 2011 Washington State Department of Transportation